Tuesday, May 25, 2010

I did no new transcriptions lately. Maybe I'll use this space for gear talk. I'll write about my own instruments, but for starters here's something I was watching on eBay just now. "Vintage Rotary Valve Cornet". I came across it looking at various rotary valved brass and thought it looked cute. Made by Hail & Quiney in Boston; the internets know not of them. The starting price was $9.99, which is, you know, a fair price for a piece of no-name scrap metal. I figured I'll grab it if there would be no takers - would make a nice wall hanger. I saved the pics, here are a few:




Anyway, 15 minutes ago the bidding closed at $2,550.00. I guess quite a few people thought it was cute and would make a good wall hanger. Granted, it's in remarkably good shape for an antique, but two and a half grand! WTF? Who are these Hail and Quiney? Some legendary instrument makers?
I think I will go into an antique instrument forgery business.

No comments:

Post a Comment