Friday, July 9, 2010

Holton Collegiate



My main horn as of right now. I think is is the "original" Collegiate from '62, and not the later T602 model. Repeatedly named as a sleeper on the trumpet discussion boards, so I figured I should check it out. This was an eBay buy of $130 including shipping - all oxidized, missing two finger buttons, broken case etc.etc. I gave it a CLR bath and good cleaning, got the replacement buttons from an online shop that should remain unnamed (took me a month of emails and phone calls to get them to ship it), replaced the spit valve corks and the felt/cork rings, and under the grime and rust it was a sleeper indeed. Great valves, great response. Raw brass; looks like the lacquer was stripped.
Switching from an Olds Ambassador, it felt like my range immediately expanded by a minor third. Later I came to suspect that the top notes on the Olds were so unsteady because I was using a Bach 7C, not the original Olds mouthpiece, which makes it much nicer to play.
With this one I tried a few mouthpieces and settled on a Holton 24 with a deep V cup. It's a mystery gadget I bought by accident, unlisted anywhere and unlike any other trumpet mouthpiece I ever seen. In fact, it looks the most like a vintage cornet mouthpiece; when they talk about getting "the true dark and mellow cornet sound", deep V is usually suggested. I have a Holton 1 mp with the same cup design - a short-shank cornet piece I got with a 1918 Conn that would be a subject of a future posting. It is said that deep V makes the top notes more difficult to control; that is certainly true with some trumpets, but not so much on this one. The high notes may indeed be a little bit harder to control, but the rest of the register gains so much stability and richness of sound, that it's a perfectly worthy trade-off.

I am using an Olds case for the Holton, BTW. They are the same dimensions, but the valves are almost an inch closer to the player on the Holton.
I think I want to try a Holton Collegiate cornet, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment